Monday, March 19, 2007

Patience!!!

I'm sitting at my desk with two glasses in front of me. I know...I've been reminded time and again about the dangers of drinking and posting (as if I'll say something I'll regret) but somtimes you just have to let it all hang out. I stopped into my local Shop Rite wine store and asked the wine buyer for some suggestions under 15 bucks. Tonight's tasting represents the first two wines Howard suggested and I commend him for his suggestions.

The title of the post reminds me to give what's in my glass time to show it's stuff. What I love most about wine is similar to what I like about people, they continue to evolve given enough time to breathe. I'm going to cut you guys short so I can get back to what's in the glass.

Tasting Notes:

Bodegas Olivares Altos de la Hoya Monastrell 2005-Jumilla Spain. Deep ruby in color. The nose started out with spice, cedar, and hints of green pepper. The bell pepper has blown off after 1/2 hour and the nose has opened up. Medium bodied and balanced. Medium finish. A nice wine for a nice price. Not overpowering and a good food wine. A fine value at $8.

Terredora Falanghina Irpinia 2004-Campania Italy. The south of Italy is, along with the northeast, producing some of the most exciting value wines I've been tasting lately. This one is no exception. Here's a wine with soul at a very reasonable tarriff. Golden straw color. The nose is consistently interesting with hints of apple, citrus and minerals. With some time in the glass the mouth fills out and gains weight. No oak, it's light on it's feet and screams out for food. Another great buy at $11.

Props to Howard at Shop Rite wines-Westfield NJ

1 comment:

Unknown said...

winegroupie- thanks for all your insight!