Friday, March 30, 2007

Are you one of those guys (gals)?

I was listening to the radio today and heard an ad for Dancing Bull Wines. No idea what they are since I've never seen a bull dance. A jackass maybe........ Anyway the tag line was "Don't be one of those guys!". I assumed that meant not to be a wine geek. I agree. The one thing I'm trying like hell not to be is a wine snob. What I am attempting to do is to educate just a bit and give people who ought to and do know the difference some guidance.

Overheard in a wine shop the other day:

Customer: "Is this Brunello any good?"

Wine guy: "It's ok. This one is better (points to his left)."

Customer: "Why?"

Wine guy: "This producer's vineyard faces blah, blah, blah and he does blah, blah, blah to the grapes and................. Get the picture?

These guys speaking different languages? The wine guy could have saved the BS for someone who knew and cared about it. The poor customer was looking for something to have with dinner. I find this a very common occurrence. Save yourself the hassle. Tell him/her what you're having for dinner and that you want something that's ready to drink tonight. See where that gets you.

I'm off on vacation for the next week so chances are I won't post. Please post your own tasting notes in the comment section while I'm gone.

TN: Giorgio Rivetti "Pin" 1999
Very dark in the glass with notes of oak and black fruits. Very round and glyceral in the mouth. Interesting combination of flavors with a long polished finish. Half the table liked it, half didn't. Much more new world in style than most Italians. 50%Nebbiolo 25% Barbera 25%Cabernet. Look for Rivetti's Barberas for something less expensive. $40

No comments: