Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A new producer for me

Warmer weather is on it's way and for me that means a change in drinking habits. I tend to drink more whites and DRY roses. When I mention dry rose I don't mean the Bazooka Joe white zins that try to pass themselves off at the real McCoy. High quality dry rose is produced by limiting skin contact with the juice when red wine grapes are pressed. The amount of extraction (color) in reds comes from contact and churning of the skins with the juice. That's right folks, red (black) grapes produce white juice. Blanc de Noirs Champagne is an example. For a while white Merlot hit the market but I don't believe it ever caught on.

What I look for in summertime whites are things that are clean, crisp, refreshing and not containing a tremendous amount of oak. Italy is a great source for tank fermented whites. I'll pass on lots of names as I drink thm. What I'm really focused on are German whites. They tend to have much lower alcohol levels (typically 7-10%) and possess great acidity which makes them go well with food. Prices in general are on the low side but the labels can be daunting to read. German wines are ranked by quality levels. If you're looking to get started QbA, QmP, Kabinett, and Spatlese are good in relatively inexpensive quality levels to look for. Producers are many and if you have specific requests please send comments and I'll fill in the blanks for you.

TN: Heymann Loewenstein Auslese-Mosel Saar Ruwer-This was a great finish to dinner at Epernay, a fine bistro in Montclair NJ. Very traditional bistro fare with professional service and a comfortable atmosphere. We had the wine as dessert which I like to do. I find sweet wines clash more often than not. Very elegant and expressive nose. Clean with excellent acidity and just the right touch of sweetness. I'll be buying more, and at $32 for a half bottle this is a fine value.

I was turned on to this producer by Steve McGuire at Super Saver Liquors in Somerville NJ. This shop is a true gem. Steve is well versed, extremely enthusiastic, and friendly person with a magnificent palate. The store is like a throwback. They don't have an internet presence and there are great things on the shelves whenever I walk in. Prices are extremely fair. Make it a point to shop there but stay away from whatever I want!

Steve got me started with HL's trocken wines which are awesome. Trocken means dry in German and may be a good starting point.

No comments: