Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Back in the saddle..........

Hi all,

We were in the Grand Canyon area last week and didn't have much of a chance to taste. The scenery was spectacular but you don't go there for the food.

Some tasting notes:

We had dinner at the El Tovar lodge who's dining room is supposed to have the best food in the Canyon. I ordered fish. The next time I do that I'm going to find out how far I am from the ocean.
My wife ordered the duck so I matched it with a Fess Parker Pinot Noir from Santa Barbara county. A very nice wine and a great match for the duck. Unfortunately my fish was DOA and I left DNR instructions for the waitstaff. The price on the list was $35 for 1/2 bottle which I found fair for the quality. Fess Parker happened to play Daniel Boone on TV in the early 60's for all you trivia fans.

2005 D'Arenburg "The Hermit Crab" McLaren Vale Australia-70% Viogner, 30% Marsanne. Very floral with quite a bit of depth on the nose. This was a real surprise as I wouldn't expect a $12 wine to have the length this had. Full bodied with a slightly spicy finish. A great buy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome back, homey. Will I see you next Wednesday at the party?

pearlcfam said...

how was the wine at raos? should of went with the elk at the canyon head groupie. when in rome...

Wine Groupie said...

I love Elk....you almost feel bad when you see one up close but you get over it when it's on your plate.